Super Sunday Artist Spotlight - Kai


on , , , , , ,

No comments

Our first ever feature is Kai, an artist from the swamps of Sweden. He's known as Mant-Ra on DeviantArt.

Face by Mant-Ra
What is your specialty and medium of choice?
I am not really sure if I have a medium of choice. I enjoy working with lots of different things. I have a love for organic materials such as bone, horn, wood and leather, but I also enjoy working with some metals, copper being my favorite. In terms of more traditional art I like to work in acrylics, oil and water colours, also various types of pens. I also sculpt in both polymer and natural clay.

How would you describe your style?
Somewhere between surreal/dreamlike, tribal and post-apocalyptic. And various other things.

How did you get started with your craft/artform? Was it difficult to learn?
I didn't find it difficult. But most of the time I didn't really decide "Now I am going to learn this thing!" either... I just kind of taught myself along the way.
Talisman by Mant-Ra
Tell me a little about your creative process. What inspires you?
I am inspired by my dreams, artist friends and myths/legends. Often I have an idea of what I want to do right from the start, but sometimes I just play and let things happen. I generally don't have a lack of ideas or end up doing nothing.

Approximately how long does it take to finish a new piece?
Anywhere from an hour to a few months... it depends entirely on what I am doing.

What is your favorite piece so far? Can you tell me a little about why it is special to you?
It's really difficult to choose something to be honest...I am very, very fond of [these] (pictures featured). They are special to me because they feel closest to what I want to achieve.

Do you have any advice or tips for fellow crafters?
Never stop doing what you really want to do yourself! Don't get too influenced by "what will sell."

°ºoº°ºoº°ºoº°ºoº°ºoº°ºoº°ºoº°ºoº°ºoº°ºoº°ºoº°ºoº°ºoº°°ºoº°ºoº°ºoº°ºoº°ºoº°ºoº°º

A very special thank you to Kai! Be sure to check out his ETSY and DEVIANTART!

°ºoº°ºoº°ºoº°ºoº°ºoº°ºoº°ºoº°ºoº°ºoº°ºoº°ºoº°ºoº°ºoº°°ºoº°ºoº°ºoº°ºoº°ºoº°ºoº°º

Would you like to be featured? Send me an e-mail at LampshadesAndLollipops@gmail.com.

Leave a Reply